Monday, January 30, 2012

COVER STORY: EVA EKVALL

BEAUTY AND BEYOND
By Raphael Porciuncula


"One thing about my past . . . Well, definitely, I would not choose anything at all because I'm very happy the way I have lived my life up to now.  And because the person that I am now is what the past has done to me.  So, I would be completely different and I wouldn't be proud of who I am." - Eva Ekvall

The answer “I joined this pageant because I want to become a role model for everyone” has become a cliché but in truth, it strikes a blow of reality. Every pageant candidate has a story to tell. And every winner stands out and becomes the paragon of every budding young girl aspiring to be one.

This is the story of Eva Ekvall who at first showed hesitance in joining the Miss Venezuela 2000 pageant. She has felt that she was not meant for it although she has the height; she was a chubby girl at that time. But convinced further, Eva trained and worked hard on her physique until she achieved every Venezuelan girls’ dream, to become Miss Venezuela-Universe 2000.

Left: Eva representing the state of Apure. Right: Eva as Miss Venezuela Universe 2000.

Eva was an epitome of grace and beauty. Although she just clinched 3rd runner-up in the Miss Universe 2001 pageant where Denise Quinones was crowned, she was in everyone’s list. She performed so well. She was great. She has the body.   She  certainly  knows  how  to  navigate  the  stairs. She was a queen in her own right that night despite not getting the crown.

Top: Eva at the rightmost during the announcement of the Top 10 semi-finalists at Miss Universe 2001 pageant. Bottom: Eva at the 2nd from left during the swimsuit competition.

Top: Eva during the swimsuit and long gown competition at Miss Universe 2001 pageant. Bottom: Eva as one of the Top 5 finalists and eventually placed 3rd runner-up.

She later on became a newscaster and met her husband. She got married and had a child. After childbirth, she had her breast lumped examined and removed and it turned out to be breast cancer in the advance stage. She would later on undergo treatment and for two years she battled the big C and eventually succumbed at an early age of 28.


Eva became a role model of a lot of young women when she came out of a book showing her in her most unglamorous self. The book is entitled “Fuera de Foco” and it means “Out of Focus. It is a collection of pictures of Eva during her treatment. It is entitled as such because it is a very great departure from the life of glamour and glitz that Eva used to have. During her ordeal with cancer, she realized that Venezuela being a country that is so attached with the beauty culture should wake up to the reality that the body that is beautified can get sick too. And that the breast being a body  part  that  becomes  part  of  beauty  can  become ugly too because of cancer. As such when the book came out, galvanized a lot of concerns and it had increased awareness among the Venezuelan populace for breast cancer screening. (Please see related article about breast cancer screening)

Even when her death was known to the world, there is a continuous outpouring of grief and sympathy to this woman. From news magazines, blogs, TV news, forums, Facebook pages and the like, many extolled her bravery and courage to face the dreaded C. She did not sulk. She did put down her guards. She staunchly came out so that the public may know more of the disease and its consequences – that this disease does not select anyone; everyone is at risk.


I am reminded by the answer of Eva Ekvall in the finals of the Miss Universe 2001 Beauty Pageant when asked of the question: “If you have to change one thing about your past, what would it be?” And she answered:” Well, definitely, I would not choose anything at all because I’m very happy the way I have lived my life up to now. And because the person that I am now is what the past has done to me. So I would be completely different and I wouldn’t be proud of who I am.” Would she answer differently if she survived breast cancer and she would be asked again this question? I believe not so because, Eva as beauty queen lived up to being a role model. And even in her ordeal during her disease, she had lived up fully to the title. What more if she survived the disease?  She  will  forever be that beauty  that lived her life and took the lead against this dreaded disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment