Friday, June 1, 2012

MY DREAM WEDDING : A FUSION OF TRADITION, HISTORY AND MODERNITY

by Lavinia Otilla


Weddings are festivities in nature. It groups people and allows the people who have not seen each other to interact and build linkages after years of separation. Hence, I always say, weddings are reunion of sorts. However, as a child, I find weddings fashion show of sorts. When someone gets married, I always hear the hush whispers among the family members trying to guess what the principal sponsors, secondary sponsors and guests are going to wear during wedding day. Of course, they do this to make sure that the bride will not be upstaged during the ceremony.



I have always taken the stand that the bride should be the most beautiful among the entourage. I have seen weddings that the bride is upstaged by the Maid of Honor for using flamboyant gowns. In my experience where I was asked to be the fashion director of the wedding, I made it a point that the center of the attraction is the bride. And I have been congratulated and thanked for my work during those days that I do weddings in the Philippines. I have seen a lot of weddings in the country. And despite the fact that most weddings are now conceptualized in the country, I still find it so traditional. Not in my 15 years of experience of being a fashion director that brides veered away from white, cream or beige gowns. The parents, sponsors, maid of honor and the flower girls usually use the motif colors and the bride must use the white derivative color. This attitude is based on tradition and superstition which has been passed from one generation to generation and has been modified also through the changing times. But as I said, I have never seen a bride to march along the aisle with a different gown color.
I have seen and assisted different weddings. For those that were part of the wedding ceremony, it is a dream wedding for them. But for the changing time, would like also to conceptualize a dream wedding which would be a suggestion to anyone out there planning a glorious wedding ceremony.
Now let us take the month. 

It is not so rainy during the months of November to mid-May in the Philippines
Now let us take the month.
I would choose between the months of November to mid-May. The last two weeks of May till the end of October is very rainy. This is the reason why June is being shunned as a marrying month nowadays. It smacks into the Typhoon month and thus it will greatly affect the grandiosity of the wedding. I can recall a wedding when Typhoon Signal Number 3 was raised up in Northern Luzon. And the dams released the excess water and passages along the MacArthur Highway were impassable. I really can’t remember anymore how the wedding gown was delivered from Manila. The best months however would be December, mid-March and April. These months commence different festivities and would allow more people to join your wedding celebration. However, if you are into a budget wedding you can always go for a simple but classy RSVP wedding. In my case, I would like a wedding that would have the grand festivity aura.







































MY DREAM GOWN: What about the wedding gown? I would like a wedding gown by Michael Cinco. In a recent fashion shoot, I saw Michael Cinco’s elaborate pink color-based gown. It was such a stunning wedding gown from his Fall-Winter Collection 2011-2012 and part of a Fashion Shoot entitled “Impalpable Dream of Madame Butterfly.” It is made up of lighter floaty fabric on the skirt and layered till the lower portion which gives a bouncy and light feeling. This gown looks very comfortable on weddings which extend to long hours. The bodice seemed like it is made up of a corded lace and is adorned with beads and flowerettes. The gown also connotes vibrancy, uniqueness and good tidings. It blends with the fiesta feeling of everyone attending the wedding. Being a non-white in color, it has the shock value but such awe of appreciation not of disdain. The gown however could still be on the safe side because the pink color is interspersed with the white color. Although Michael Cinco also did a white wedding gown but I prefer this pink ensemble for all the reasons I gave.





































What made white the staple color of weddings? Well they say that Queen Victoria in 1840 balked at tradition preferring to wear a gown of pure white not only to signify purity but also to indicate a new reign. Since then color white became customary. However, color of the wedding gown depends on the style and ceremonial importance and culture of the participants. Western culture use white to symbolize purity of the soul while in Eastern culture, red is usually used to symbolize auspiciousness.

WEDDING LOCATION: The location of the wedding maybe varied but I am also a hopelessly romantic person and I want it to be at the Sta. Maria de Assunta Church of Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur. It is one of the remaining baroque churches in the Philippines and I have seen this church, it has the grandiosity of history and the past. And it is located on a hill overlooking the Poblacion of Sta. Maria. The church has a separate bell tower and strong buttress to withstand the powers of earthquakes.


WEDDING RECEPTION: After the wedding, the reception would be held at the plaza auditorium and will have a fiesta atmosphere. There would be colorful displays and a presentation after the post-wedding ceremony. There would be the usual fare of Philippine food plate and of course the lechon will never be absent.







This is just wishful thinking. My dream wedding can be scaled down because in the provinces, weddings in the barrios are always celebrated like these. But as I have told you, any location or any celebration for a wedding is fine as long as love and faithfulness is the message in the air.


Photo Credits:  maloucastillejos.com, colloidfarl.blogspot.com , taraletsphotography, s4.hubimg.com, Michael Cinco  featured in weddinginspirasi.com







No comments:

Post a Comment