Friday, June 1, 2012

REGIONAL FEATURE: A TIT FOR TAT WITH MISS LA UNION 2012

by Airwind Bautista



In a tally of how many beauty queens the different regions have produced, Central Luzon, particularly Pampanga tops the list. Unknown to many however, Northwestern Luzon had approximately equaled their number of national beauty queens and La Union had its share of the glory. In 1970, a youthful lady from San Juan, La Union in the person of Carmencita Cita Hufano Avecilla was crowned Binibining Pilipinas Young International and landed second runner-up in the international pageant in Japan. In 1979, Criselda Dang Cecilio was crowned Bb. Pilipinas-Universe. Criselda’s mother is from the big Flores clan of San Fernando City. In the same vein, Miss Denille Valmonte, Binibining Pilipinas-International 2006 traces her roots in Bacnotan, Union. The triumphs of Shamcey Supsup whose maternal grandparents are from Bauang, La Union as well as Janine Tugonon whose father is from Aringay, La Union is now tilting the balance towards Ilocana beauties. 


Miss Shamcey Supsup's maternal grandparents are from Bauang, La Union and Janine Tugonon's father is from       Aringay,  La  Union






But La Union prides itself further from her beauty history. Aside from Gloria Diaz of Aringay, the two Miss Philippines -Universe of  2011 and 2012, other Ilocanas made their mark in national beauty consciousness and to name them, we have  Mutya ng Pilipinas World, 1990 Antonette Ballesteros, Bb. Pilipinas - World 2001 Gilrhea Quinzon, Miss Philippines Tourism-World  2004 - Sheryl Lou Dacanay Franco, Miss Philippines- Eco-Tourism  2004 Keithly Ann Campos and Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2007 - Anna Katrina Bautista . Others made similar attempts and created an impact on the national consciousness.






































Cita Avecilla - San Juan  Criselda Cecilio - San Fernando City  Denille Valmonte- Bacnotan    Gilrhea Quinzon - Bacnotan/San Fernando City  Antonette Ballesteros - Bauang, La Union Sheryl Lou Franco - Aringay  Keithly Ann Campos - Agoo  and Ana Katrina Bautista - Rosario/San Fernando City




Significantly, the two Miss Universe Queens trace their heritage in the Northern Provinces. - Gloria Aspillera Diaz of Aringay, La Union, Miss Universe 1969 and Maria Margarita Roxas Moran of Rosales, Pangasinan, Miss Universe 1973. Gloria Diaz’ victory was not only well-received by the country but also by her province when she received a hero’s welcome from the Province of La Union led by then Governor of La Union & later on Associate Chief Justice of the Supreme Court- Juvenal Guerrero.


Gloria Diaz of Aringay, La Union and Margie Moran of Rosales, Pangasinan heritage







The point of this article is that in the recent past, La Union is making a impression in the beauty pageant arena. Last March 2, 2012, La Union crowned her own Mutia (means Lady or Miss in Ilocano) in the person of Aiyana Camille "AJ" Mikiewicz. Many would probably be surprised with her last name. In reality she is of Fil-Chinese-Polish-Ukrainian descent but she is very Filipino is upbringing having grown all of her life in the country.The latest holder of the title has a string of beauty titles to her name because she is so blessed with beauty, wit and charm. No one doubted her capability to win the most coveted title of “Mutia ti La Union 2012” because of her inherent qualities. Aside from being involved in modeling, socio-civic activities and participating in the regional pageant circle in Baguio City, Pangasinan, Ilocos Norte and La Union, she is also an A-student at the St. Louis University in Baguio City. 


















Tucked in her belt are different pageant titles like Miss Dagupan Fashionista 2010; Miss San Carlos City Catwalk Diva Fashionista 2011; Miss Pnagbenga 2011; Miss Agoo, La Union 2011; Miss Silka Baguio 2011; Miss Laoag City International 2012 and Miss Magic 2012. It is not surprising therefore that she has gained a lot of following and admirers in the pageant world. With a beautiful frame and an acceptable height of 5’6-3/4”, she is being groomed to try her luck in the national level.


Dagupan Fashionista 2010 and Catwalk Diva 2011






















This writer sent Miss La Union 2012 a set of questions to answer and for them to know her more – her aspirations, dreams and motivations. Here’s our interview with her:



1. When did you discover that you have the inclination of joining a pageant?

"It wasn't until my 3rd pageant Miss Panagbenga 2011, that I realized I wanted to go ahead and go further with it and see if I could go all the way to national pageants. I honestly never saw myself being in pageants before because I have this "boyish" factor as others say. I'm definitely very thankful & blessed to be where I am at now because I know not a lot of girls my age can experience some of the things I've gone through so I'm happy & thankful to God for all the blessings He has given me."

2. What motivated you to join and eventually win pageants?

"There are many reasons why I join pageants and one of the motivations I would definitely say motivated me was my mom. Seeing the look in her eyes every time I won was priceless. Being the eldest of four and the only girl, I knew it made her proud and happy for her to tell others her only daughter is a beauty queen. I know its a rare opportunity that other moms get to say that about their daughters so she's one of the reasons behind my winnings." 

3. What is one thing that people will be surprised to know about you? Something unusual for a beauty queen like you.

"One thing I believe people will be surprised to hear about me is that I used to be a hiphop dancer way before I actually learned how to dance belly when it came to my talent competitions during pageants. It started in elementary that I would always get picked in class to be the head choreographer whenever we had dance recitals. Once I was in high school I stopped dancing for awhile and got into sports instead hence thats where I got my "boyish" style or personality from. I was a sprinter in our highschool's Varsity Track & Field Team. I still do hiphop once in awhile whenever people ask me to teach or show them. But now that Im in college I focus more on belly dancing." 


Miss Panagbenga 2011 and Miss Silka Baguio 2011

4. How do you deal with detractors questioning your being a FILIPINA?

"I deal with detractors questioning about me being a Filipina with respect. Remembering that in life we cannot always please everyone. People may have their own views/opinions but as long as I know I have my family and friends behind me and supporting me all the way in everything I do then their comments about me being a Filipina isn't a big deal to me. I'm just happy to be proud of who I am & how far I've come in joining pageants to have made it this far. I may look like a foreigner on the outside but I am a true Filipina at heart. "

5. How do you balance your time between pageant and studies? Especially if your pageant is during school days?

"One of the ways I balance my time between pageant and studies is that I inform my instructors ahead of time if I know that a pageant of mine will interfere with my school days specially if I have a quiz or exam that day. I always request to my instructors if I can go ahead and take it in advance or if not ask to take a special one after my pageant to make up for what I've missed. "

6. What is the essence of finishing a degree? What is your course and why did you take it up?

"Finishing a degree is very important because having the honor & pride in telling others that you've graduated whether it be a 10 yr., 4 yr. or 2 yr. course is still a big accomplishment. This is also an accomplishment where nobody can steal it away from you.I'm currently taking up BS Psychology. I am really into the whole CSI, NCIS type deal where I want to solve cases and be physically involved especially if the case has anything to do with children being physically, emotionally & mentally abused. I find human behavior & personality studies very interesting and this is why I took up Psychology. I would like to pursue my education in medical fields to become a Psychiatrist."


Miss Agoo 2011 and Miss Laoag City International 2012

7. I noticed you always have that sincere smile in your face, no matter how tired you are so how do you maintain a positive outlook despite of the stressful pageant activities?

"How I maintain my smile & positive outlook despite the stressful pageant activities is by always giving thanks back to God because of Him I would'nt be able to be apart of any of my past pageants. Even if it's rehearsals, I always smile and think of happy thoughts. This is how I am able to maintain my smile at all times."
  
8. What is your opinion to people who looks down on girls joining pageants?

"My opinion to people who looks down on girls in joining pageants is one of the least of things I have to worry about. There are plenty of reasons why girls join pageants: either to gain & boost their self confidence, being proud in showing to others the beauty God has blessed them with, and to show that they not only have the beauty but brain as well and many more. Not all girls are qualified to compete just like if you are talented in singing or dancing, won't you be proud and share it with others?"

9. What is your opinion when people react about your joining of pageants in different places?

"I usually get a positive feedback especially if they find out that I have already won in a certain place. However, there are still people who are not aware that there are invitational pageants, meaning you technically don't have to be residing in that area or have family roots in order to join; it is open to anyone as long as you meet the other qualifications. Every pageant I joined had screenings and my handler made sure that I meet all the qualifications before even joining the pageant."

10. What is your notion about pageants before you join one of them?

"Usually for me before getting into another pageant I always pray to God. Once I pass the screening I make sure that I do not let my ego over ride my personality. I would always remain humble and act like as if its my first pageant again. By doing this, none of the other candidates can say that I am unapproachable or not friendly. I am not only there to go for the crown but also to make new friends."




Miss La Union 2012 and Miss Magic 2012


11. What are your passions and what motivated you to pursue it?

"I have a lot of passions in life. My current passion right now is to finish college and continue with my medical degree in becoming a Psychiatrist. Once I've accomplished this I would like to open an organization for abused children. It's one of the main reasons why I took up Psychology in the first place. I want to help children who are physically, emotionally & mentally abused. What motivates me further to pursue this is that seeing the children smile would make a lot of difference in their lives. I believed that this is my calling to do in life, helping children who are less fortunate and making sure that I put a smile not only on their face but in their hearts."

12. As far as I am concerned, you are one of the intelligent and beautiful beauty queens thus what is the biggest failure you have and how did you face it?

"I would not consider it as one of my biggest failure but one of the opportunities handed to me that I didn't take for granted. This opportunity was the chance in getting to know my biological father. I've done all I can in trying to get in contact with him but...... All I can say is that at least I've tried. I face this just by accepting where I am in life without him and being happy where I am right now. I know that God allowed these things to happen for a reason and I have no right to question Him but just to follow because He is the light of my life."


13. I noticed that you got a supportive family so if you will make a tribute to your family, especially your mother, what will it be all about?

"If I were to make a tribute to my family especially to my Mom, I would like to make a clip or powerpoint presentation and show it off at a huge dinner party inviting other family, relatives and friends for all to see. This is one of the ways I can show everyone especially my Mom of how grateful & thankful I am for all the undying support, love, & sacrifices she's done for me since day one of my first pageant. To make a clip of taken photos and videos that she's taken and put them together for everyone to watch is something I know she will be very touched and happy to see that I acknowledge all the things she does for me. And one thing that touches me every time she says it before our proper pageant starts is, " Anak, win or loss you will always be my winner." One of these days I have to make this party happen."


14. How do you value your supporters and what can you do for them to as a gratitude to their support?

"I value my supporters by maintaining my communication with them through facebook on my fan page: Aiyana Camille "AJ" Mikiewicz.  
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aiyana-Camille-AJ-Mikiewicz/220315234645440
Thanking and greeting them every time they leave me a comment on a photo or video of mine. Acknowledging how blessed I am to have supporters like them behind me every time they know I'm in another pageant. It amazes me sometimes that even thou most of them I've never met before but they have heard my name through other friends, relatives or even on TV (that they've seen me get interviewed a couple of times) they still support me all the way. 

One of the ways I get involved with my fans to show them I appreciate all the comments they write me is by writing them back on my page or if I do see them in person to take a picture with them. By this they can show others that I am friends with them and at the same time I can break the stereotype of beauty queens not being friendly in person. "

15. As I am aware of, you already went to Manila to meet a team to assist you in your way to clinch a national title, so kindly share some teaser about it, a teaser that will surely make your supporters be excited.

"Wow, I'm surprised how fast news got around but yes recently I was in Manila and have already met up with the team that will be willing to train me in preparation for the Binibining Pilipinas 2013. It was so funny because we had our first dinner meeting at Shangri-La then the following day I had my pictorial taken right away along with two other candidates who the team took as well to train for this year’s Ms. World Philippines 2012. It was so much fun working with them. Recently the team texted me and said all the photos turned out to be great and that they can't wait for me to see them again. My handler, mom and I will be meeting up with the team again to further plan future events that I need to accomplish before this November. I will definitely keep everyone up to date on what happens to me step by step as the days get closer of the actual pageant. "

16. What does being Mutia ti La Union had brought to your life?

"Being Mutia Ti La Union 2012 has opened so many doors of opportunities for me. I can't thank enough to all those who were responsible for making me and believing in me to become apart of such an event. This is another blessing I'm very greatful and thankful to experience in order for me to reach my goals in life." 

17. A message to your supporters?

"To all my supporters, I can't thank you enough for all the love and support you've been showing me.. Whether its a simple click of LIKE on my pictures and videos I upload on Youtube & Facebook, or to leaving me a comment on my wall. I truly appreciate all the love you guys show me. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be where I am today. I hope & pray that you will never get tired of supporting me. If I do make it to the nationals and international pageant, I will not only make you proud but the whole Philippines proud by doing my best in this next journey God had set ahead for me in my life. You will always be apart of my life and will always be greatful for all your undying support.




Remember to always give thanks to God. If at the moment you are going through a tough time whether it be with family or friends I want to leave you with one of my favorite bible verses from Ephs.3:16

"That He Would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthed with power through His Spirit into the inner man"

Whenever I'm down and feel all hope is lost. I always look back at this verse and remember what God's purpose is for me in life. I hope this will also help you too, He may not answer our prayers right away but in time we will see His work be done in our lives."

The question and answer portion is wrapped-up but what is left is such an amazing words emitting from a rising beauty queen, and it is really such an admirable  asset since it is very rare that a beauty queen will be so witty and amiable. Her charming smile will really make you admire her more but to know you are conversing with someone so smart is indeed a great thing to happen.



It is then a part of the prayer brigade of her supporters and pageant fanatics to wish the best for her and victory for an ILOCANA to clinch a title. The pressure is so high but no matter what will happen, she will indeed stay in the hearts of the ILOCANOS as the Rising Beauty Queen of the North who captivated them, not just thru her beauty and wit but also how good and beautiful person she is, who is wearing a crown not just on her head but also in her heart that radiates  her real beauty which is all about remaining as the humble girl who is a rising beauty queen.

Photo Credits: Airwind Bautista, I-biz Balaoan, Veestarz, BPCI, Misso Info, Miss Philippines-Earth, Joseph Tagle Photography


Editor's Note.: Mr. Airwind Bautista is from Sudipen, La Union and is a pageant enthusiast who is into photography and events organizing. He is also a training facilitator. He used to work as a guidance counselor and an educator and was connected before with Ann Harbor Montesorri at Binan, Laguna, Risen Christ Catholic School in Silang Cavite and Child Development Center of the Cavite State University in Indang Cavite. We highly appreciate this article about Miss La Union 2012 from him. We hope other contributors will follow suit and consider articles for posting at our blogspot. Again thank you very much. 

4 comments:

  1. You have a nice blog. More articles and goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Sir Gaudy

    airwindzone.wordpress.com
    is my personal blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've missed miss glenna marie slaton who won the Mutya ng Pilipinas and is from Bacnotan La Union. She's also 4th runner up in Miss Asia Pacific pageant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll correct myself, she was just a finalist:

    Miss Asia Pacific
    1986 September 30
    Hong Kong Coliseum, Kowloon, Hong Kong
    32 entries

    Results
    1 New Zealand Helen Crawford
    2 Singapore Lim Suet Kwee
    3 Thailand Sararat Roomruangwong (Wonderland '88)
    4 Hong Kong Nina Li Chi
    5 Turkey Nilufer Apaydin (Globe '88)

    Semi-finalists
    Australia Christine Lucinda Bucat (Universe '86, International '86)
    Colombia Judith de los Angeles Martínez de la Espriella
    Cook Island Lorna Sawtell (Universe '86)
    Costa Rica Aurora Velásquez Arigño (Universe '86)
    Hawaii Teresa McKeague
    Israel Eti "Ester" Sarid
    Korea Seo Hyun-kyoung
    Panama Lyda Urrutia
    Peru Maria Rossana Matute Micola
    Philippines Glena Marie Valmonte Slaton
    Sri Lanka Mamasena Seneviratne Disana

    ReplyDelete